Frequently Asked Questions

Our offices are open by appointment only. Please note that we are frequently out working in the community and may take 1-2 business days to return any phone messages left at our office. Each of our team members have their own direct cell phone line that they will provide you with, along with information about their availability. Generally, our service hours are weekdays with closures on holidays.

Yes. We can deliver services over secure Telehealth (online video) where it is a good fit and effective for you or your family member. We can also offer a hybrid model of in-person and telehealth to increase efficiency where appropriate and preferred.

We have policy and procedures in place to reduce risk of COVID-19 transmission, including physical distancing, occupancy limits, disinfection protocols and masks in accordance with BC Public Health recommendations and mandates as well as WorkSafeBC standards.

If you would like to be contacted about upcoming training opportunities, please email us at to be added to our mailing list.

New Horizons is a prequalified vendor for Community Living BC services on both the Provincial Service Suppliers List (PSSL) and Personalized Supports Initiative (PSI) list. You will need a referral from CLBC to receive the following services from New Horizons:

  • Eligibility Assessment
  • Behaviour Consultation Services
  • Community Inclusion Services – Community Companion Programs

For CLBC-funded services please speak to your CLBC Facilitator about a referral for our services. In Kamloops and area, you can call (250) 377-4444. If you are not sure who your Facilitator is or you do not have a Facilitator, just ask for the Intake Facilitator.

Yes, if government funding is unavailable or exhausted, we can discuss a service agreement with you to pay New Horizons or Horizons Kids privately or on a fee-for-service basis. We will develop fair contracts with families, agencies, service providers and microboards to provide Behaviour Consultation services.  Contact us at for more information.

Yes. We have three Category A Qualified Behaviour Consultants on our team who are listed on the Registry of Autism Service Providers (RASP). We invoice the Autism Funding Unit directly for Behaviour Consultation and Behaviour Interventionist services once we are set up to do and provide full transparency to you in our billing.

Wonderful, we are happy to chat at no cost and tell you more so that you can make that important decision. Send an email to or call our team directly:

  • Nina Gales: (778) 694-8125 (Kamloops area)
  • Isabelle Thomas: (250) 299-2688 (Tri–cities and Lower Mainland)

Sometimes there can be a wait for services that are funded by CLBC, even if you have been referred through your CLBC Facilitator. We will let your Facilitator know if there is a wait and for approximately how long when we receive your referral. You can check on the status of your referral and the waitlist by speaking to your CLBC Facilitator.

For families using Autism Funding, we keep our caseloads small and focused on quality of service. If we do not have availability to offer services, we will suggest other quality service providers in the area who may be able to serve you more immediately.

Yes. We provide Behaviour Consultation services in our Horizons Kids program to both private and public schools. Contact us at if you would like to discuss a potential service agreement.

A Behaviour Consultant is a clinical professional who typically has at least a Master’s degree or is working towards one, has specific graduate level coursework in Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA), and has experience in specific areas of practice within the field of ABA. Behaviour Consultants are not yet regulated in British Columbia, however the Behaviour Analyst Certification Board certifies those who meet specific education and experience criteria and pass a certification exam.

You will be given an appointment to come to our office for an Eligibility Assessment and we will ask you to also bring someone who knows you well, so that they can answer questions about your skills and abilities (called an adaptive assessment). There will be an interview, and you may also be asked to do intelligence testing. The assessment usually takes 2-3 hours.

We run our training workshops based on community interest and need, rotating our offerings throughout the year. We send out notifications to all community agencies when we open up a new training opportunity for registration. If you are interested in having New Horizons present on a specific topic for your agency, please contact us

No, we no longer provide this training but we will work alongside your in-house trainer in supporting your team as we are familiar with both CPI and Mandt systems. As most service providers have their own “in house” professional crisis management system trainers, we no longer offer CPI training directly through New Horizons. For more information or to find a local training opportunity, see:

We value feedback so that we can make continuous quality improvements to our services. Please submit any feedback by email at or call (250) 434-2729 to leave a message for call back. There are also opportunities to periodically provide us with feedback via surveys sent from our office.